Monday, October 17, 2011

The new mid-october

As a kid growing up in upstate ny, mid-october always meant things like hot-spiced cider, raking leaves & jumping in them, grape-picking, apple-picking & going to the cider press, and maybe, if i was real lucky, my mom's home-made potato donuts. but not-no-more. (for more details on mid-october activities in upstate, check-out my sister's blog, where she's doing such a fine job keeping these traditions alive, i feel home-sick every time i read her blog)

this is california. i miss the old mid-october, but it's also pretty nice going to beach in swimwear rather than donning a scarf and gloves.
this is what we did this past weekend to ring-in the autumn season:
santa cruz...
rode our bikes along west cliff drive...
took-in the seascape...

definitely not better than eating fresh-grown concord grapes, wrapping my lil fingers around a mug of hot fresh-pressed cider, and sinking my teeth into a just-made donut, but it was calorie-free, and pretty amazing to let my skin feel the hot sun in mid-october.

6 comments:

Ally and Moema said...

Yeah I am loving fall right now but seeing your blog is making me remember how nice fall can be in warm weather.

Esther and Brian VanGorder said...

Well, I can't even think about putting on a swimsuit until the end of May, so I guess we're even...

Esther and Brian VanGorder said...

p.s. Brian and I totally looked into coming there this winter, but the cost was just too high...bummer. It would have been so much fun. Perhaps at a future date.

nathalia said...

I think the smile on your face reveals that the new-mid October is absolutely blissful! Enjoy!

Shannon said...

i'm so sad we missed this blissful day. if you come on Saturday, you can wrap your fingers around a nice hot mug of wassail...

Justin and Roxanna said...

So fun! Gotta love this CA weather, but don't worry it'll get cold soon enough so you can have some hot drinks and enjoy some fall goodies :-)